Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Begins with a Gingerbread House Countdown to Christmas - Part 1

The festive season has begun and I just love this time of year. I guess it's all the more exciting because I have two little children and their anticipation is so infectious. Every day my son would ask me, 'how many days let for Santa Claus to come' so to make it easier for him, I decided to make a little Countdown to Christmas project in the shape of a Gingerbread House. It could also be called an Advent Calendar and helps the little ones look forward to the Big Day!


My Gingerbread House Countdown to Christmas is in the shape and colour of a Gingerbread House. It has 24 windows on it, on the front, sides and back. Each window has a number corresponding to the date. Each day from December 1st to December 24th, my kids will open the respective window and in so doing will be able to tell how many days are left for the Big Day. The 25th number is on the front door of the house and when they open this, they know it's Christmas morning! Here's a look at the side and back of the house. 


I numbered the windows totally randomly so that each day my kids will have to hunt around for the  appropriate window. Each window is cut using the Sizzix Mini Openings Die and embossed with the ItsyBitsy Spots Embossing folder. A silver ribbon ensures that the window is tied shut until the date it can be opened. For the numbers on each window, I used the scallop circle combined with regular circle dies from ItsyBitsy to cut the base. Then I glued  some die cut numbers on top. I finished with a layer of Mod Podge Satin Finish for that fabulous gleaming label! here are some closeups of the labels. 


For the snowy trim all over the Gingerbread house I used the  Rotary Cutter in a totally random manner ensuring that some parts were longer and others shorter much as snow would look. I also added a rim of pearl stickers all over the border just to glamourise it a bit. 

And if you're wondering what I used to make the house, guess what! I used one of my Itsy Bitsy courier cartons! I just covered it with card stock and made a peak. Check out the pictures below!


So what's inside the windows? Well that's going to be in Part 2 of my Gingerbread House Countdown to Christmas post. You can also look forward to the front garden all of which is still in progress and will be published very soon so watch this space for all the details!

How are you gearing up for the festive season? Would love to see your work! Leave a comment and I will be dropping by very soon!

Supplies Used

3 comments: